Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What is the Massage Continuum?

We all know that to be the best you can be you need to keep on learning. This blog is dedicated to the idea that the more we learn, the better we can achieve our potential. The massage profession is constantly evolving as well, never static, and as massage professionals we must evolve along with it.

So why blog?
I’ve been a massage therapist for 10 years now, and a massage instructor for 4. It’s very gratifying to help a student grow into becoming a wonderful, effective, and successful massage professional. As a teacher, I get bombarded with questions all the time about where to learn more, for more detail about a particular subject, or for my opinions about some aspect of the profession. I decided to start this blog to answer some of those questions and to extend what I do beyond the walls of the classroom to help the greater massage community. If you want to know a little more about me click here.

I love to teach. I have found that there is great variety of often conflicting information out there – some of which is very difficult to even find. I hope to provide some of those resources here. I’ve never written a blog before, so please bear with me as I get the hang of it.


Who is this blog for?
Practicing and aspiring massage therapists. In my experience, many practicing massage therapists have as many or more questions than massage students do. What can I do to be more successful? What do you do? What techniques work best for what conditions? Where are the best places to work? How much do I charge?... The list just goes on. If you work in massage therapy, you should find this blog helpful. I won’t make any claims about being the final authority, but I do have experience as a massage therapist and a spa owner, a consultant and a teacher. My hope is that my experience can help your career flourish.


Topics
While I already have pages of ideas to write about, this blog is more about you, the reader, than about me, the writer. I want to know what you want to know. If you have any topic that you’d like me to write about, send it along and I’ll do what I can to help. Here are some sample topics I already have in the works:

  1. Professionalism in massage massage therapy
  2. Building a career vs. finding a job
  3. Two-tier licensing
  4. What state certification means in California
  5. The magic of M.E.T. (muscle energy technique)
  6. Why doesn’t everybody know about Trigger Points?
  7. The insidious (and much farther reaching than you think) effects of stress
  8. Massage CEUs and DVDs: Which one should I buy?
  9. Massage DVD and book reviews
  10. Creating opportunities to grow your massage business

Like I said, this is just a sample. My intent is to build a body of work here in relatively short order. Let me know what you think!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Mr.Mike Wolnick!!!!
Thanks this will be of great help...I cant wait to hear more...Boy do I miss those slides!!!(not) But I did enjoy listening to your lectures...See you soon!

Mike Wolnick said...

Thanks for stopping by, Shira! The nice thing about the blog here is you can get lots of those lectures in little bite size pieces!

Unknown said...

That was very informative I like it.

Unknown said...

Greetings Mike, A thoughtful article shows your experience in the massage field. I own http://www.massageonlineprofessor.com providing massage continuing education for over ten years with 23 years experience in the field. Would love to share some of my articles with you, or would love for you to become a MassageonlineProfessor affiliate. Look forward to hearing from you. Karen Z