Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Critical Thinking Exercises

Lately I've introduced regular critical thinking exercises into the classroom. I take a question that may or may not have a correct answer, but at the very least draws together various concepts that we've looked at in class, come from the media or current events, or are items that should be part of the students' burgeoning awareness. This has been more successful than I could have imagined.

Originally, I started the practice simply to get my students to think on a higher level than brute memorization, but the effect has been more dramatic. The students are engaged in the topic more, taking more ownership of the concepts, and participating as individuals and a group more heavily. Seeing the impact, I have decided to include this as a daily exercise. I write the question on the board, along with any additional points or lines of thought I'd like the student to consider in their response. Then I give them about 5 minutes to organize their thoughts and write some notes. Then we discuss it as a class and see where it goes. Everybody participates.

Almost invariably so far, I've been impressed. While the students don't necessarily pick up on all of the lines of thinking that I had in mind, they often pull out some ideas that I hadn't considered, or they bring in a different perspective.

Ah, such is the power of collaborative learning!

Enough Rope to...

One thing that I have noticed above all is that given the opportunity, students will usually impress. It makes me think back to the old saying "give them enough rope to hang themselves" and turn it on its head. In this case it seems like I am giving them enough rope to build a bridge. With more or less guidance from me, the students take on the task and pursue the subject - usually with some excitement. It's amazing to see how the students are more engaged - and no wonder, they get to say something instead of just sit back and be talked at.

The reason I chose the rope-bridge analogy is because I have seen this exercise drawing the class closer together as well. The sharing of ideas and group effort to find solutions has had the result of the students participating more as a team than before.

The Future

I'm thinking of turning this into a slightly more formal exercise and have the students note this discussion in a log. That way it won't be some here-and-gone discussion, but there will be a record - something for each student to look back on about all of these important subjects. I know I wish I'd had more detailed notes to reflect back on from when I was in school. Many things become clearer when you talk about them in school, gain some experience, and them come back to ponder them again with new perspective.

I'll post at least some of these discussions here in this forum - as many as I have time for. I hope they help you as much as I've observed!

No comments: